Teacher Scales and Sample Items – Teacher Support for Situational Interest: General
- I design tasks and activities that make math class entertaining.
- I use instructional techniques designed to grab students’ attention in math.
- I use puzzles or games in math.
- I use humor to engage students during math class.
- I use instructional techniques that show students that mathematics is a fascinating domain.
- I design tasks and projects so that students can find enjoyment in solving mathematical problems.
- My math lessons highlight the intriguing nature of the field of mathematics.
- I include activities that demonstrate the usefulness of mathematics.
- I use projects and tasks where students must use mathematics to solve everyday problems.
- I design tasks and projects that encourage students to make connections between mathematics and the real world.
It is recommended that these items be used on a 5-point scale that is anchored at the endpoints and in the middle with the following options: Not at all true, Somewhat true, and Very true.