Teacher Scales and Sample Items – Mastery-Oriented Instructional Practices
- I emphasize the importance of learning from mistakes.
- I encourage students to find several ways to solve each problem.
- I give students opportunities to think about how they have improved their skills or understanding.
- I tell my students that learning should be fun.
- I make a special effort to recognize students’ individual progress.
- I stress to students that it is important to understand each concept, not just get the right answer.
It is recommended that these items be used on a 5-point scale that is anchored at the endpoints and in the middle with the following options: Not at all true, Somewhat true, and Very true.